[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4787: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3888)
Was this one as bad as I thought it was? - Live Poker Forums

Advanced search

Was this one as bad as I thought it was?

The action game..

Moderators: Felonius_Monk, briachek, LPF Police Department

Was this one as bad as I thought it was?

Postby stickdude » Sun May 07, 2006 2:17 pm

I thought I played this one very poorly, but it could be I'm being too results-oriented. Kuso didn't think it was as horrible as I thought it was...

Ultimate Bet Pot-Limit Omaha High, $.25 BB (9 handed) from (Format: Bet The Pot)

BB ($33.60)
UTG ($18.95)
UTG+1 ($9.40)
Hero ($25.10)
MP2 ($48.50)
MP3 ($21)
CO ($28.45)
Button ($5.75)
SB ($20)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with [Jc], [As], [4s], [Ah]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
3 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, MP2 calls $0.75, MP3 calls $0.75, 3 folds.

So far, so good.

Flop: ($2.50) [Th], [Qs], [6c] (3 players)
Hero bets $2.5, MP2 calls $2.50, MP3 folds.

Hmmm... he didn't fold like he was supposed to

Turn: ($7.50) [3d] (2 players)
Hero bets $7.5, MP2 raises to $30, Hero calls $14.35 (All-In).

Played like a true fish. :( This is exactly the kind of play that I stack other people with. I know better than to overplay Aces like this.

River: ($59.35) [7c] (2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $59.35

Results in white below:
Showdown:

Ray_McKegney shows Qh Td 5c Kh.
Ray_McKegney has Qh Td Th Qs 7c: two pair, queens and tens.
stickdude shows Jc As 4s Ah.
stickdude has As Ah Th Qs 7c: a pair of aces.

Outcome: MP2 wins $59.35.

I didn't run the numbers last night, so here goes:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1707636
pokenum -o qh td 5c kh - jc as 4s ah -- th qs 6c
Omaha Hi: 820 enumerated boards containing Qs 6c Th
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
5c Td Kh Qh 512 62.44 308 37.56 0 0.00 0.624
As 4s Jc Ah 308 37.56 512 62.44 0 0.00 0.376

Not great, but it's actually better than I would have guessed. Obviously, I'm much worse off if he's got a set here.
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You cracked my Aces... prepare to die"
stickdude

Postby Aisthesis » Sun May 07, 2006 2:41 pm

Aisthesis

Postby stickdude » Sun May 07, 2006 2:55 pm

stickdude

Postby Stoneburg » Sun May 07, 2006 6:11 pm

Stoneburg

Postby stickdude » Sun May 07, 2006 6:40 pm

stickdude

Postby briachek » Sun May 07, 2006 8:11 pm

sure, you may not like playing a big pair in a 6 handed pot when you don't flop a set (which as stone said, its easy, check fold in all by extreme instances) but i would hate playing a big pot out of position with just an overpair even more. you lose a limp playing it without a raise. you could easily lose a stack playing it for a raise.

You are raising oop and can't raise that much so you aren't getting anyone with a decent hand to fold preflop and now they might have a better idea what you have and they have position.

If you played it for a limp, you lose 25 cents. You play for a raise, you likely win an extra $1 or lose $2.50+. I don't like the difference.
Brian [Js][9s]
Anyone who gets in a fair fight, has no tactical skills.
briachek
Semi Pro (B&M & Online)

Postby Aisthesis » Sun May 07, 2006 9:42 pm

As to the raises, for whatever it's worth: I feel like I'm really just getting started with raising in Omaha, but I just don't raise OOP (ok, maybe AAKKds or something would be hard to resist). I raise a LOT, however, in LP.

For a while, I was also mini-raising with position on draw-type hands in multi-way pots. Idea: I really want everyone to call because I'm getting the most bang for my bucks. If you do that it's easy to get away from. Also, if there are 5 or 6 limpers before me in LP, I do view AA as a "draw-type" hand. I may bet it unimproved sometimes, but the flop is going to have to be pretty optimal to do so.

At the moment, I've gone for raising full pot when I raise, but I'll have to admit that my results were actually better when I was doing this mini-raise strategy, which may be better if you have little fold equity. It just becomes very tempting to CB too often (I like to think that I don't, but that may be wrong) after raising pot.
Aisthesis

Postby stickdude » Sun May 07, 2006 10:22 pm

For this most part, I've been trying to restrict my preflop raises to LP. This hand was a good reminder why not to raise OOP.

re: AAxx in LP with 5 or 6 limpers in front - I think it somewhat depends on the table. If I think I can drive out all but 1 or 2 of then with a pot-sized raise, I'll raise. If the table is such that they'll all call, then just limp and play for a set.
stickdude

Postby Kuso » Mon May 08, 2006 1:07 am

wwcrd?

"that basically sums up poker for me - 12" needle in the testicle." <nutkick> mvp
Kuso

Return to Omaha